April 28, 2009

I Never Bothered To Figure This Out


I was looking through one of the on-line magazines that I follow and found an article on turn-of-the-20th century medical students being photographed doing weird shit with cadavers. This picture really cracked me up for some reason.

Then I started thinking about how you manage to get all the bones in a skeleton to stay together once all of the muscles and tendons and all of that other gooey junk is gone.  I mean, do you nail the bones together?  Crazy glue?  Screws?  Maybe screws because that's what they use to hold bones together on undead people.  Like Theresa, the woman who cuts my hair.  She screwed up her knee and the doctor put it back together again with screws, but he must not have torqued them down very well, because they came unscrewed and started popping through her skin.  Gross.

So next time I'm in a high school biology classroom, or in a doctor's office, or even a TV studio where they're setting up to do a comedy sketch about a doctor's office, I'll have to check that out.

Because I like to learn at least one new thing a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment