March 10, 2012

I'll Be Damned ...

I think I promised last time that my next post would be a bitch-fest, but frankly, I don't feel like it tonight.  I had a pretty good day, so I'll save the bitching for later.

This afternoon, I was dialing through the TeeVee channels and happened across a very old monster movie named "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms".  I used to know what a fathom was, but I forgot.  I think one fathom equals three Mark Twains, but I'd have to double check.

Anyway, in the movie, the Paleontologist, who later gets eaten in his diving bell, says that the Monster is heading from parts north to the Hudson Submarine Canyon, which is supposedly off the coast of New York City.

I looked at Jan and said "I call bullshit on that".  I was smug in my certainty that this was a made up name ... but for some reason, I made a mental note to remember so I could look it up later, to reaffirm my intellectual superiority.

About an hour ago, I typed it into Google ... and son-of-a-bitch!  There IS a Hudson Submarine Canyon!

Here are some pictures:




Pretty damned impressive, isn't it?  And I guess I'm not as smart as I thought I was.  I suppose even I can learn something almost every day.

Oh, and the Beast From 20,000 Fathoms never made it to the Hudson Submarine Canyon.  He got sidetracked by coming ashore at the Port Authority where he ate a policeman and a couple of cars before Lee Van Cleef put on a radiation suit, and armed with a grenade launcher fitted with a radioactive isotope, rode a roller coaster up to where Beastie was and shot him in the balls.

I am not making this shit up.

1 comment:

  1. As improbable as that whole thing sounds, you know what I can't get past? The roller coaster ...

    ReplyDelete