November 28, 2012

Time On My Hands

I just finished making stuffing.  Yes, stuffing like you make for Thanksgiving.  And it's 11:00 in the morning.  Well, I was bored and there were most of the items I needed to make it in the refrigerator and pantry that I had left over from last week ...

This is the problem.  The problem with not being at work.  It's a small problem, but a problem never-the-less.  It's been almost a month since my contract ended at Giant Pharmaceutical House and I'm in the process of finding things to do to fill my days.  It's a fine line to tread between finding just enough to do and not taking on full-blown projects, like painting the second bedroom. Painting the room wouldn't be that big of a deal, but the ceiling should be painted too.  And that ... is a pain in the ass.  You crane your neck upwards for hours and paint gets all over the fucking place, including your clothes, your hair and in your EYES!  I'm usually half-blind after I finish a ceiling.  So I'm going to have to rev myself up for that one.  In the interim, here are some things that I've been doing to make the day worthwhile:

Cleaning the house ... this lasted about a week and a half, because there's only so many times you can clean the house in the space of ten days before you completely flame out and never want to do it again. Better to space it out to ... oh once a month.

Do things at odd hours ... one day I went to the liquor store at 9:00 on a weekday morning for a bottle of wine.  This turned out to be a bad idea.  First of all, it's hard to bluff the clerk into believing you're buying the wine at that hour because you have a romantic picnic lunch planned, especially when it's 20 degrees outside.  Secondly, there are an awful lot of old men there at that hour buying pints of vodka and whiskey.  Makes you feel kind of squicky.

Cruise the internet ... this is the one thing I love doing, because you always have to hide it at work.  No body's looking over my shoulder here at home.  Unfortunately, after I plow through the news, comics and Gawker, it's only been a half-hour and I'm done for the day.

Spy on the neighbors ... everyone is at work.  No one to spy on.

Watch television ... Yay!  Especially morning television. I used to watch "Good Morning America" all the time, but grew tired of George Stepha-what's-his-name and the never ending tributes to the one woman who isn't there now, and I do feel for her, but shit ... that gets old.  So, I switched to the "Today" show, which isn't much better, but at least it goes on until 11:00 in the morning and I'm not subjected to a local show named "Windy City Live", which absolutely blows.  And in the 10:00 hour I can watch "Hota and Kathy Lee" instead of "The View", which is only entertaining if you want to watch a group of women yelling, interrupting each other and their guest constantly and generally being a bunch of assholes.  "Hota and Kathy Lee" is pretty cool because they both have huge glasses of red wine in front of them each day when they start the show and they're empty by the end of the hour.  Plus , they always have one or two segments with someone who brought in a truckload of booze to taste.  One morning I tried watching CBS, but was shocked when "The Price Is Right" came on and Drew Carey was the host instead of Bob Barker.  What the fuck is with that?

Anyway, I'm still feeling out my new found freedom and open schedule.  I'm sure I'll keep finding things to do like fly-casting, knitting or yoga.

But right now, I think I'll go start a turkey to go with that stuffing.

No comments:

Post a Comment