January 22, 2012

A Few Sunday Thoughts

Another winter Sunday and I'm waiting for some football to come on.  The season really ends today and I wonder what I'll watch on future Sundays until the leaves come back on the trees.  Too bad I don't like basketball or hockey.

Joe Paterno died this morning.  I wonder if the scandal pushed things along for him.  Funny thing. I'm sure life was pretty good for him right up until last Fall.  You have to wonder how he viewed himself at the end.  Did he think he did the right thing?  The wrong thing?  Or did he just think he was a victim of circumstances.  Well ... I guess he doesn't really care now.

We finally got some cold weather and snow here.  For weeks ... months actually, the TV news and weather people had been bemoaning the fact that it was winter and the weather was nice.  Now they're bitching because it's cold and snowy.  What a bunch of assholes.

People act so weird when there's a measurable snow fall.  Friday afternoon, I was working away and not paying much attention to what was going on around me.  At about 3:45, I noticed that almost everyone on my floor had left because it was snowing.  Any old excuse in a storm to bug out early.

Just a tip for you guys out there with beards.  When you buy a new trimmer, start with the highest setting first.  Beard holes aren't very attractive.

Speaking of hair, the woman who does mine went on vacation last week, just when I needed a haircut, so I had to find a substitute.  When someone has cut your hair for 20 years and all of a sudden, some stranger is doing it, it's kind of unsettling.  This is what a one-night stand must feel like.

My Mom died in October, and I still catch myself starting to call her on the phone.  I guess I should take her number off of speed dial, but I can't bring myself to do it.  There's a finality in doing it that I'm not ready for yet.  I guess I'll get used to the idea that she's gone one of these days ... and I suppose that's kind of a shame.

Jan and I will both turn 60 years old in 2012.  Hard to believe that much time has gone by ... but at least we've had 37 of those years together.  That takes the sting out of the age thing a little bit.

Winter ... a time when you think too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment