July 06, 2009

People Change

As part of our upcoming trip, we're going to stay a few days with my Mom in southwest Missouri.  Although I talk to her almost every week, I haven't seen her in almost 10 years.  Over the weekend, I was wondering if I'd be surprised to see what she looks like.  Well, maybe surprised isn't the right word.  I'm just hoping for not shocked.

This is one thing that's universal with all people.  If you haven't seen a good friend or relative in a long time, there's always a moment when you first see them after the absence that you're taken aback, if only for a few seconds.  Then your mind processes the update and the mini-shock goes away.  In those few seconds, you hope that the mild trauma hasn't registered on your face.

New pictures of people you haven't seen for a while have the same effect, except that you're free to goggle at those for as long as you want, without fear of looking like a loon.

So, we'll see what happens at the end of this week.  One thing I'll keep in mind though, is that the other person is probably just as shocked to see me as I am to see them.

I think that's what they call a level playing field.

No comments:

Post a Comment