October 16, 2009

My Best One Liner ... Ever

I was unsure about whether to put this on facebook or do it as a blog post. It's a little longer than a facebook entry should probably be, and as far as the number of people who will read it ... well let's see, I've got a total of five facebook friends and a total of about 5 people who read this blog on a semi-regular basis, so it's kind of a wash in that respect. So what the hell, I'll just do it here.

This morning I was ironing a couple of shirts, and it reminded me of the best zinger that I ever got off in my life. Well shit, it just may be the best zinger of all times. To me, it's just that awesome.

Years ago at work, a group of us guys used to congregate in the basement of the office in the late afternoon for a kind of an unofficial break time. There were about 10 of us, and we'd just shoot the shit for 20 or 30 minutes and then go back to work. I usually just listened and didn't say much, but there were the usual "personalities" that dominated the conversation.

One in particular was a nice enough guy, but was a pretty guilty braggart. He was always talking about his side businesses and how much money he was making; as well as giving opinions on various subjects. You know the type ... they're okay, but they get on your nerves occasionally.

One day, we were all sitting at the table and he came down a little late and sat down. He had on a brown shirt, and it was obvious from all the deep wrinkles in it, that he had simply brought it home from the clothing store, unwrapped it, pulled the pins out and put it on. I mean it was just really wrinkled.

He joined the conversation, and during a lull, we both looked at each other, and I said "Nice shirt".

Everyone started laughing, because they had seen his shirt as well as I had and were all thinking the same thing. He turned red and kind of smirked/snarled/laughed along. I should have apologized, but I didn't. I just grinned at him.

Later on, that same guy became my boss. And it was obvious from the get-go that he never forgot my remark. So, my career may have been somewhat thwarted because I couldn't control my big mouth. But it sure was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment