May 27, 2011

Nothing Happened - WTF?

Jan is a teacher in a Middle School in one of the suburbs that surround us.  Where I came from, they call these institutions of learning “Junior High”, but that’s down south and we’re all stupid down there, so “Middle School” it is …

Anyway, last night was the commencement ceremony for the 8th Grade Class, and as a teacher, Jan was required to take part.  I’ve never really understood the need for graduation ceremonies for 8th graders; or for Kindergartners for that matter.  But I guess it’s tough enough going to school for 12 or 13 years in a row without some kind of hoopla to break it up.

In order to appear to be a supportive partner, I told Jan that I’d go with her.  Even if you have been married for almost 36 years, it’s important for a guy to try to build up a brownie point stash in case he needs an unreasonable favor at some point in the future.  Besides, I thought if these forced affairs of family and friends go as they normally do, there might be something to put into a post.

The event started on time, there were a minimum of speeches and the whole thing was over in less than an hour.  The kids were all dressed nicely, seemed very happy; and their parents, grandparents and friends were all justifiably proud.  What’s more, I felt a sense of belonging, being a part of an American tradition.

What the hell?

I’m losing my fucking edge …

No comments:

Post a Comment