May 03, 2011

Meandering Musings

Tuesday afternoon.  The Moody Blues composed a song by that name back in the 1960's.  They made it sound like a fun time, but I guess you had to be there.

I'm basically done with work for today, I don't want to do anything else.  So I'll do part of this post from here (can't tell you where here is) and part from home (can't tell you where that is either).  My mind has been wandering for a while, so I think I'll just summarize thoughts for the hell of it.

  • I didn't sleep well last night.  My extended stay on the day bed in the extra bedroom is taking it's toll on my back, neck, kidneys, gonads ... you name it.  I wish Jan's allergies would take a hike so she'd stop snoring and I could sleep in my own bed.  But, for as much as I slept last night, I might as well have been comfortable and listened to the snoring.
  • Sometimes, when you think about a subject too much over an extended period of time, you get to see it in a three-act play in your dreams.  Only it turns out to be really stupid, with the wrong people, and inaccurate.  Then you wake up and analyze it for all of its script failings.  Stupid brain.
  • The first lawn mowing of 2011 was last Saturday.  I always misjudge and wait one week too long for the first cutting.  And a one week error is just enough that the mower chokes down elebenty-million times during the 4 hour process that should have taken only one hour if I had only mowed it one fucking week earlier.  Choking down the lawn mower is bad on the engine.  My 5 year-old lawn mower is now 97 in dog years because of my bad timing.  I have legendary bad timing.  My friends used to call me "Bulova".
  • My new neighbor across the street was mowing his lawn (or trying to) with a reel mower.  You know, those scary looking scythe things with no motor that you have to push because that's the way they used to mow the lawn in 1901?  I think this is his first house and he was trying to save some money by purchasing a cheap lawn care device.  A herd of goats would be better than a manual reel mower.  That's like taking a knife to a gun fight.
  • Jan and I planted a shitpot full of shrubs last weekend in our "new, improved" back yard.  Here's a tip to save money on plants ... Go to a big box store and buy them.  A lot of them, and then cram them all in a cart in no particular order.  The eight-dollar-an-hour cashiers will get super-frustrated, give up and just make a wild-ass guess as to what you have.  They and others know that big box stores rarely inventory plants ... because ... well they just don't. We saved about 50 dollars. 
  • For the past several nights, I've tried counting the number of stoplights between work and home.  I always lose interest after two.  I guess it'll always be "one of those mysteries of life".
  • I heard recently that they stopped making 100 watt incandescent light bulbs. This doesn't bother me much as I don't believe I've ever used them.  Too bright.  Maybe it's because I'm one-third vampire on my mother's side.
  • When you come right down to it, aren't vampires and zombies the same thing?  Vampires are probably more attractive and socially polished, but that's about the only difference.
  •  Year's back I hit a deer with my truck.  I'll always remember the look in it's eyes right before I struck it.  It was like ... "Uh-Oh".
  • An acquaintance of mine is friends with a married gay couple.  One of the guy's name is Roy, so I always call them "Ziegfried and Roy".  She always gets mad at me, but I don't know why.  I like Ziegfried and Roy.
  • Since Jan is tutoring this evening, it's "Make Your Own Meal" night.  This evening I'm having Campbell's soup.  Not the good kind, but the kind you where you pour out the can of glop and then add one can of water to it. When I was a kid, my mom would make it with 3 cans of water and told me that's the way the children at Auschwitz had it, which made me feel very regal and sophisticated.  Then, after I was married, Jan told me that I was only supposed to add one can of water.  She also told me what Auschwitz was.  No wonder I resent my mother.
  • The soup I've chosen is called Minestrone, which judging by the picture on the can, is probably Sicilian for "Vomit".  Since I have some left-over Bushes Grillin' Beans, Ill probably throw those in there too.
I still like to feel regal on occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment