September 21, 2011

Coming Soon

I don't know why I'm so fascinated by this.  You'll have to forgive me.  Since I wrote about this last week, I've made sure to check on the progress at least once a day.

NASA announced this morning that there were no more guessing games.  Their dead Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite (UARS) is definitely crashing to earth on Friday, September 23.  They may be certain of the re-entry date ... but they still don't know where.  Although the predicted debris zone is 500 miles, the margin of error is 6,000 miles, or about a quarter of the circumference of the earth.  It all depends on several factors.  Solar flares, which heat the atmosphere causing expansion, and the fact that the fucking thing ran out of fuel, so no one can control it and as a result, it's started to tumble.

Man-made shit in space has always interested me.  The only time I purposely skipped school was when I was senior in high school and Apollo 13 was making the critical re-entry to Earth on a Friday.  I also got a big kick out of the panic when Skylab fell back to earth decades ago.

So, like I said, forgive me.  I probably should write about other things, like my encounter with Big Foot in Engle Park before dawn this morning, but that will wait for another time.

Just so you know what this thing looks like (UARS, not Big Foot) here are pictures of both so you can tell the difference.

I Have A Burning Desire To Hit You In The Head

Get Outta My Park Asshole!

Next Post:  Fucking With Sasquatch!

No comments:

Post a Comment