January 09, 2010

Confessions of an Un-Follower

I'm feeling a bit guilty about something I did over the recent Christmas holiday. I tried to convince myself not to do it. But it became more and more difficult not to as the days and weeks went along. Finally, on the day before Christmas, I could wait no longer. I did it.

I deleted a blog from my "follow" list.

Okay ... as long as I'm confessing, I may as well go all the way. I deleted two blogs from my "follow" list. My little picture graces their follow section no more, their list of followers is one less. I un-followed with extreme prejudice.

When I first started my blog last April, I picked a number of other blogs to put on my follow list. I chose them because they were funny, or they were thought provoking, or they were well written, or they were all of those things. For the first few months, I looked forward to reading all of the posts from all of the blogs. And then, I looked forward to reading all of the posts from some of the blogs, and merely tolerated the others. And finally, the two I merely tolerated became irritating.

I'll be the first one to admit that my own blog is not going to win awards of any kind, and only a few people read it on a regular basis. But that doesn't mean I can't offer up a few tips to keep your blog from becoming cringe worthy.

Tip #1 Referring to your husband, wife and children in your blog is definitely okay. The best blogs that I read include their family in their stories. However, these people do have names. And unless you're in the witness protection program, it's okay to refer to them by their name. They aren't "Mr./Mrs (insert cute moniker here) or "hubby" or "wifey". Your kids have names too. They aren't "Mini" this, or "Munchkin" that.

Tip #2 Eighty percent of your posts shouldn't be on the same subject. We get it. You love your job, but you work with a group of morons who make it impossible for you to shine like the super star you know you were born to be. You poor, put upon thing, you.

Tip #3 You are not "The Bloggess". Therefore you must be a copycat. Stop it. Now.

Last Tip It's unfortunate that you couldn't find a subject to post about today. That fact is not really post worthy.

There. I feel a little better now. After all, these two people had a lot of followers. They probably didn't even know I wasn't there anymore. I hope.

I guess I still feel guilty.

No comments:

Post a Comment