March 05, 2010

I'm Aware I Shouldn't Laugh

I'm admittedly a fairly cynical individual.  Present me with a positive situation, and I'll tear it apart until I find something negative about it.  Show me a light at the end of the tunnel and I'll wait for the speeding train that's behind it.

As a result, I don't laugh very often.  I do that "social laugh" thing when I'm in a conversation with someone and I don't want to seem like a stick-in-the-mud asshole, but that's about it.  Some people have said that I have a "dry" sense of humor, but Jan says that they're just being nice and they really mean warped, macabre or bizarre.

I suppose that's about right.  I do like to watch comedy, but I'm not moved to laugh very often.  In fact, I consciously try not to laugh.  This works most of the time, but there are exceptions.  Ron White used to be one, but I grew tired of his cigar, bourbon and tater salad shit.  Lately, Demetri Martin makes me snort at some of his skits, but he's becoming a little tiring too.

There is one person that I'm almost ashamed to admit that I like to watch.  I'll find myself laughing at some of his crap even if I'm trying not to.  As an example, one Saturday night Jan and I found ourselves watching "Step Brothers", only because we didn't have any ears of corn that needed shucking.  Try as we did not to, we found ourselves snorting at several of the scenes in the movie.  And each time we'd look at each other sheepishly and shake our heads.

Yes ... I like Will Ferrell.  Not all of the time, but he's just goofy and off-the-wall enough that he catches me off balance on occasion, and I laugh at him.  Maybe that's all that comedy is ... catching you off guard.

The other night, I was drifting through the inter-tubes and came across a piece with Ferrell in it.  Yeah, this is the kind of stuff I laugh at.  I probably need professional help.

No comments:

Post a Comment