June 29, 2009

Ideas

It's taken me most of my life, but I'm beginning to learn that there are a lot of things that you can learn about yourself by trying new things.  Granted, some of the things you learn aren't so pleasant, but when you get to be of a certain age, the not-so-pleasant things aren't the crushing blows that they might have been at one time.  And, of course, there are a lot of good things that come from the new experiences.

I've been posting in my little blog for a couple of months now and realize that I'm glad I started it.  I still don't know exactly why I decided to do this, but it may have stemmed from the notion that I thought I could write.  At first I was a little frightened that other people might actually read what I'm putting down here, but that passed quickly.  And I've gotten to the point where it doesn't really matter if someone reads it or not, or whether they like it or not.  I just like it when I can think of something that I want to write about and at the end of the post, I can look back and see that it isn't some horribly jumbled mess.

This most important thing that I've learned from doing this is that I can't manufacture ideas.  Maybe other people can, but it's just impossible for me.  Before this blog, I always thought that if I just cleared my head and concentrated long enough, an idea would show up.  It doesn't work that way for me.  The ideas come from no where in no particular settings or situations.  And that, believe it or not, is something really important that I need to know about myself.  So I have this blog to thank for that little bit of information.

Another side benefit from this whole business is the fact that I get the opportunity to see how other people think.  I don't know if I just lucked into it or what, but the blogs that I read on a regular basis are written by some really clever, insightful people; some of whom don't realize how good they really are.  And, I have to admit, that I am envious of them at times and wish I had their talent.  But I also know that I am who I am.  And that's okay.

When I started, I was going to give it a couple of months and then see if I wanted to continue.  And right now, I think I'll keep going for a while longer.  I think I'd miss the little thrill I get when I get an idea, and I know I'd miss being a little part of the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment